College Student Bunk in Program at Delmar-Bethlehem EMS
Rent Free Housing and a Unique College Experience
Delmar-Bethlehem EMS is beginning a bunk in program that will provide rent free housing to qualifying college students in exchange for being an active and responding ambulance crew member. Available to college students living in the Albany area who are EMT certified and ready for duty.
- Be at least 19 years of age before the beginning of the Bunk-In Program residency
- Be a fulltime student entering their second year of college (no freshman) or EMT-P student in the Albany area or a surrounding county and maintain school enrollment throughout the length of bunk-in participation
- Have a permanent residence outside of the Capital District
- Be NYS EMT certified and maintain certification for the entire period of service
- Ride 24 scheduled hours per week on an ambulance crew
- Meet all the requirements for membership in Delmar-Bethlehem EMS
- Have EMT experience with an ambulance service in New York State, be “Crew Chief” ready, and be able to quickly assume duty as a Crew Chief on an ambulance crew
- Meet all the requirements to be a driver for DBEMS and have either CEVO or EVOC training
Bunk-In Program participants will receive residency in a two-bedroom furnished apartment that will be shared with another Bunk-In participant. The apartment building also houses a volunteer FD Bunk-In program and is one mile from the Delmar-Bethlehem EMS North Station. On-duty time will be spent in one of our two EMS stations with recently upgraded crew day rooms, kitchens, study areas, and private bunk rooms. DBEMS volunteer shifts run from 6:00 pm to midnight and midnight to 6:00 am. Average call volume on the 12-hour evening/night shift is a total of 4 calls per day, split between two on-duty ambulance crews. Duty uniforms and crew equipment will be provided.
To obtain an application, please send a letter of interest and resume that outlines how you meet the above requirement to Jen Kerr at email@example.com. Program will be available Fall of 2019.